The Bezos Family Foundation is a private, independent foundation established by Jackie and Mike Bezos, who along with their children and their spouses, serve as directors. Their vision is that all young people are prepared to achieve their full potential and make a meaningful contribution to society.
Inspired by the belief that investing in education is the best way to ensure a better future, the Bezos Family Foundation supports rigorous, inspired learning environments for young people, from birth through high school, to put their education into action. To this end, the Foundation’s grantmaking is focused on early learning, strengthening the K-12 public education system, and supporting young leaders. Through investments in research, public awareness, and programs, the Foundation works to elevate the field of education and improve life outcomes for all children. Investments are guided by the potential to scale and be replicated, as well as grantees’ proven ability to accomplish results.
This is an opportunity for an accounting professional with exceptional people skills and the aptitude to successfully handle a variety of technical accounting tasks with rigor and attention to detail in an entrepreneurial environment. This new position reports directly to the Managing Director of Operations. The Controller will join the organization as it is actively strengthening its internal systems and processes to keep pace with the team’s vision and ambitions. The Controller will provide general accounting services to colleagues across the Foundation and will carry out the work with a deeply customer-centric approach. The Bezos Family Foundation team is highly collaborative, and the Controller will be part of a closely-knit team where relationships are collegial, trust is high, and having fun in service of the work is part of the collective DNA.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
Manage Daily Financial Operations
Assume responsibility for all aspects of the Foundation’s financial management and transactions:
- Accounting, including: A/P, GL, cost accounting, payroll, revenue recognition, bill pay, investments, and grants;
- Prepare budgets and reports for the Foundation and for internal departments, including forecasts and budget variances;
- Interface with external advisors to ensure the Foundation stays abreast of technical accounting issues and remains compliant with all legal, tax, and other financial matters; and,
- Coordinate preparation of regulatory reporting with tax and legal advisors.
Implement and Strengthen Financial Systems
- Manage implementation and adoption of new, comprehensive accounting software system;
- Plan and implement quality assurance and quality control procedures over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls; and,
- Partner with Managing Director of Operations to identify opportunities for financial reporting process improvements and implement them.
Strategic Financial Reporting
- Prepare management reports for the Founders and leadership team to support the development and execution of organizational strategy;
- Partner with Managing Director of Operations and program leads to quantify impact and develop executive reports to demonstrate that impact; and,
- Prepare and publish month-end and year-end financial statements.
The ideal candidate is deeply passionate about the Foundation’s mission and is motivated by the opportunity to improve life outcomes for all children. This is a key driver for every team member. Candidates should bring the personal maturity, intellectual dynamism, and business acumen to be effective in an entrepreneurial culture that demands significant personal responsibility and decision making. Successful candidates will approach the Controller role in a true partnership with the Managing Director of Operations.
The ideal candidate is detail oriented and a strategic systemic thinker who has the ability to map daily responsibilities to the Foundation’s overall mission and goals. Candidates must bring a positive, professional, and proactive approach to problem solving, with an acute sense of foresight to effectively support the team’s needs, questions, and challenges. The ability to pivot from day-to-day accounting to high level financial strategy work is essential, as is the flexibility to take on new challenges as the Foundation grows.
The Controller is an approachable expert—a person who leads with warmth and humility, speaks with confidence, enjoys sharing knowledge, and is patient in bringing others along. They must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated success translating financial processes to lay audiences and experience developing financial and accounting controls that are user friendly. A natural collaborator who possesses a strong team orientation will excel in this role. The successful candidate routinely demonstrates sound judgment along with the highest levels of confidentiality, discretion and tact. They are drawn to the Foundation’s collegial, supportive, and non-hierarchical professional environment where no job is too big or too small. Being an animal lover is a plus; the Bezos Family Foundation is a dog-friendly work place.
Candidates must have a minimum of eight years overall accounting experience with a track record working as a financial controller. Ideally, experience will span multiple sectors; direct experience in nonprofit or foundation accounting is preferred. A bachelor’s degree in accounting or commensurate experience in lieu of a degree is required. Candidates must bring deep knowledge of working with general ledger functions, accruals, month-end and year-end close, and implementing and using financial systems.