About the Organization
The climate crisis touches all of our lives and impacts everything we hold dear. There is no question that solving this crisis is a formidable challenge – but the good news is that climate change is a problem with solutions.
Yet, less than 2 percent of philanthropic giving goes toward climate solutions. The Climate Leadership Initiative (CLI) was created by leading climate philanthropists and foundations to increase climate philanthropy, since the climate crisis cannot wait. Every delay means the solutions cost more in money and lives.
CLI is an advisory service designed to help new philanthropists get started fast, with confidence. Philanthropists can move with both urgency and rigor to stop the climate crisis and protect our planet for generations to come. When working with CLI, philanthropists can get started quickly, receive tailored guidance and engage with their network of peers and world-class climate experts. CLI works with philanthropists to match their interests and passions with solutions ready to scale.
CLI is fully funded and does not raise money for itself or any one organization. This frees them to help philanthropists find the smartest path for them.
Climate change isn’t its own cause, it’s every cause, because of its ability to threaten progress on any issue – poverty, education, conservation, economic justice and more. It’s why CLI works across many sectors and regions to address this far-reaching problem.
CLI seeks a sharp, persuasive Writer to help build the communications foundation for an organization singularly focused on dramatically increasing the amount of private philanthropy flowing to climate change mitigation. Success in this ambitious endeavor requires a talented, skillful communications team to effectively tell the story of climate – the challenges, successes and opportunities – in a manner that compels action and investment in the cause.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the incoming Writer will have the opportunity to create and influence content that will motivate donors in significant and impactful ways. Serving in a role focused on both strategy and execution, the Writer sits in the unique position of driving editorial strategy while also having direct involvement in the generation of content. With a focus on distilling complex climate and climate-related topics into compelling, story-driven narratives, the Writer will play a critical role in moving philanthropists with the means to act on the most promising climate solutions.
- Develop CLI’s editorial strategy and tone
- Draft internal guidelines on style and messaging, ensuring alignment and consistency across internal and external communications
- As the primary manager for content creation, identify the need for freelance writers and editors, owning those relationships and managing towards a final product
- Serve as a thought partner in developing and defining CLI brand as a key member of the communications team
Content Creation & Editing
- Manage the writing and design for a suite of materials that define CLI, climate solutions, and the unique role of philanthropy in driving positive change in this space
- Write copy for CLI’s newsletter, landing pages, website, invitations, and donor correspondence
- Liaise with external partners and key stakeholders to interview, collect insights, and produce related content
- Generate talking points and scripts to support the CLI team in external engagements, events and webinars.
- Edit internal materials when needed, leveraging approved style guides
- Proof final products using internal and external resources.
- Support Philanthropic Advisors on producing, packaging, and curating materials focused on high-impact climate solutions
- Collaborate closely with CLI team members to ensure aligned and consistent messaging
- Identify and share useful ways to collect information that streamlines the writing process
Above all else, the incoming Writer must be deeply motivated by CLI’s mission to mobilize philanthropy to help solve the most profound challenge of our time: climate change. The ability to genuinely convey the urgency and scale of the issue requires an individual who leads with a commitment to the movement and a belief in the power of philanthropy.
CLI seeks an individual who is both a thoughtful advisor and effective executor, demonstrating the flexibility and agility to pivot between high level strategy and implementation. The Writer will bring experience setting the direction for content generation and understand how to drive an organization towards increased clarity around tone and messaging. They will be equally adept at and compelled by the tactical execution of this work, deriving great satisfaction from producing the foundational materials used to build CLI’s engagement with a myriad of stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is a writer first and foremost, bringing a clear point of view on how to most effectively tailor content and generate powerful narratives. This person will bring a track record writing and editing persuasive content focused on conveying issues, movements, or causes. Understanding how to translate complex material into relatable and digestible content is imperative, but the Writer will also remain respectful and true to the complexity and depth of the issues at hand. Working across numerous stakeholders, the Writer will bring deep experience packaging and tailoring materials into various formats driven by audience.
While this person will be primarily focused on writing copy, the ideal candidate will also know the power of visual communications. Leveraging images, videos, and animations to convey the urgency of the climate crisis and to communicate success stories is key.
Candidates must have a minimum of seven to ten years of experience writing for print and/or digital channels. A background in visual storytelling and imagery is strongly preferred.
While expertise in climate is not required, candidates must possess a deep passion for the issue area and a background with issues-based communications. Familiarity with international NGOs is a plus.
Location is flexible within the US, with a strong preference for this person being based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Some domestic and international travel may be required.